No, we are NOT "ending the Liaden series" (or "killing the series" or "abandoning our readers" or "selling out"* or whatever other variation you like).
What We Are Doing Is This:
- We are finishing the five-book arc which begins with Dragon in Exile (aka Dragon in Exile, Alliance of Equals, The Gathering Edge, Neogenesis, Fifth of Five (working title))
- We are also finishing the 20-book arc** which begins with Agent of Change (aka Crystal Soldier, Crystal Dragon, Local Custom, Scout's Progress, Mouse and Dragon, Agent of Change, Conflict of Honors, Carpe Diem, Plan B, I Dare, Fledgling, Saltation, Ghost Ship, Dragon Ship, Necessity's Child, Dragon in Exile, Alliance of Equals, The Gathering Edge, Neogenesis, Fifth of Five (working title))
- After Fifth of Five (working title) has been completed, Steve and I are under contract for five more Liaden novels in two chunks.
- Chunk One, consisting of two novels bearing the working titles of Liaden Mask Book One, and Liaden Mask Book Two
- Chunk Two, consisting of three novels bearing the working titles of Liaden Triple Threat Book One, Liaden Triple Threat Book Two, Liaden Triple Threat Book Three
- No, we don't know what any of those titles will be "about". They will be Liaden Universe® novels, because the contracts so stipulate
- It remains hard to write the last book in two arcs at once. Just so that's clear.
I hope everyone is reassured now. Thank you for reading, and for being so invested in our work. . .
*This one is really hard to figure out. I thought that "selling out" means, um, taking a lot of money to do something questionable that would compromise one's morals or good name. I could be wrong, here, but I think the key to "selling out" is, well, SELLING, not just. . .stopping.
**or the 22-book arc, if you're of the opinion that the Jethri Gobelyn books are in the main arc. Not a 21-book arc. Innumerate writer is innumerate.